Bill Wayne's Political Pages - The Gadfly
Submitted to the Warrensburg Gazette for February 5, 2003
The Gadfly is a series of letters offering commentary on local issues and published in the Warrensburg Gazette.
I just finished watching Channel 5's investigative report on the CASA failure. While they used the tradition TV technique by following the former Director onto her porch, the report gave a good general overview of the situation. One thing, in my opinion was missing. The reporter didn't follow the members of CASA's board, who were responsible for keeping an eye on what was going on. Here's some questions I'd like to have seen asked of the board members:
In any organization, it's up to the board of directors to provide direction to the organization and to ensure its funds are spent properly. Rubber-stamp boards have led to the massive collapse of companies such as Enron and Worldcom and the near-collapse of Aquila (our electric company we formerly called MoPub). Perhaps directors of both for-profit and non-profit organizations will start performing better when the probing camera starts following them as well.
- When did you realize that CASA was in financial difficulty?
- Why did you allow the director unsupervised control of the checking account?
- Did you review the financial statements?
- Did you review the back-up data for the financial statements?
- Did you have any kind of financial review or audit conducted?
- What guidance did you provide to the director?
- What were you told your duties and responsibilities would be when you accepted appointment to the board?
- Do you think you adequately performed those duties and met those responsibilities?
| Old Drum Net Home | Gadfly Index |
This website compliments of
including Cedarcroft Farm Bed & Breakfast
431 Southeast County Road Y, Warrensburg, Missouri, 64093